Thursday, October 23, 2014

At Both Ends

At Both Ends was a great fanzine done by Stephen Fallis. He made 10 issues all in all, and documented a good part of the first decade of the 21st century. I haven't read every issue so far, but the ones I could get my hands on were all excellent reads. For the last and final issue(s) Steve really outdid himself. First of all the zine is a double issue, i.e. issue #9 and #10 are combined in one big zine. You can read the zine from the front and the back, which is a neat idea. The quality of the zine, i.e. journalistic approach, layout, paper and so on are much more magazine than fanzine, and Steve definitely has raised the bar for all the zines out there. If you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend it.
As if that weren't enough already, Steve also decided to put out a double 7" along with the zine. You get two songs each by Bane, Grade, Unrestrained and Between Earth And Sky. Can't hardly beat that package. My main interest in the vinyl here obviously were the Bane songs. Non-Negotiable was later featured on their final LP Don't Wait Up, the other one is a re-recorded version of Struck Down By Me, which was originally released on It All Comes Down To This.
No one knows how many different colours are out there. Stephen and Justin from Unrestrained once tried to document all the different colour combinations, but there's no actual record of what is out there. Also, the numbers vary from colour to colour, so some colours are much more common than others.  This Bane 7" comes on clear red vinyl and it is the eighth version I have of this record. I also have dark green, light grey, dark grey, baby blue, purple, dark purple and orange. I know of three or four more colours and I guess there are quite many transition variants in between the light and dark records. Beyond that, I have no idea. Keeps collecting interesting though. If you have anything I don't have, hit me up.



2 comments:

  1. Group photo on instagram please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted one of the variants I had before picking up this one a few weeks back if you want to check that out. I'll definitely post another one once I get some more variants.

    ReplyDelete