Sunday, August 14, 2016

Spirits - Die Faster

I apologize in advance because this is going to be another lengthy post about Spirits. At this point it might be justified to call me a fanboy, but I don't really care.

This split is supposed to be a one time press of 500 copies. All copies come on orange vinyl. The differences lie in the covers/prints. Spirits' guitarist Charles is positively crazy, because he hand-folded all 500 sleeves by himself. I included a close-up of the back of the sleeve a little further down. It must have taken forever to do this. The band then had three different wood stamps made and stamped all 500 covers individually. Talk about a DIY work ethic... They really came out great though. The songs are the same as on the split with Tomar Control, so this is basically the US pressing of these songs.

First up is the most common version. Red print out of 300 copies.



The purple print is out of 100.



The dark blue cover is the State Of Mind Records pre-order cover. 50 of these exist.



The orange cover was used by Coin Toss Records for their pre-order sleeve. There are also 50 copies. 



24 copies with the purple sleeve shown above were used for the record release edition, as you can see by the stamp on the back cover. This picture is also a good close-up of Charles' origami skills. 1550 feet of paper were used for the sleeves. Goddamn.


I was also lucky enough to receive a test press with the order I'd put in. I really dig the special sleeve and the message written on the front cover. The sleeve might not look that impressive, but it's a special sleeve nonetheless, which always scores bonus points with me. I like the haptic aspect of the paper that was chosen for this sleeve.


On the back you get a red hand print. I don't know if this is a Turning Point reference, but I sort of want it to be. You can see the texture of the paper a little bit better in this picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment