Thursday, June 25, 2015

The L-Shaped Piece Of Crap

Goddamn, Ceremony's latest LP may be one of the worst things I've ever had the displeasure of listening to. I've been a big fan of their music since the beginning and they are one of the few bands who have managed to change their style successfully time and time again, but I can't get behind their latest output. I really had to force myself to listen through the whole thing. Apparently they have been hugely influenced by Joy Division while writing this LP, at least that's what I've read a couple of times in descriptions of The L-Shaped Man. I never listened to Joy Division (kind of glad about that in hindsight), so I didn't really have a frame of reference. I know that Joy Division are hugely popular nowadays, especially among hardcore kids, but I'll be damned if I know why. Whiny vocals over boring ass music? Yawn. I rarely consider selling records I bought, but this record will most likely not be here long.
The only cool thing about this record is the artwork with the cut-out sleeve and nicely matching vinyl.


4 comments:

  1. This made me laugh. Especially 'I rarely consider selling records I bought, but this record will most likely not be here long'. Haha! I've seen a fe pics of this and the packaging made me want it... although I'm now intrigued to listen to it as it sounds like something I would probably regret. I really liked their first three, but the last album barely got any play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just watched two songs on a youtube video. It sounds like Interpol, which was a band I got quite into back in about 2004. It as ok, but realistically I'm not really motivated to listen to this in 2015. If nothing else it would just get in the way of listening to Life Of Agony.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly can I say, this is the first Ceremony record that really grabbed me, I feel this might top my year list this year. Flawless record from front to back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover is one of the worst things I have seen in the last couple of months, but the music ... I don´t know, have to take a deeper listen. Sounds somehow athmospheric, but may turn into boring, may turn into actually great. But all in all, might be 10.000 times better than "Zoo", which I think was a piece of shit and which I hated from the first listen.

    ReplyDelete