Thursday, May 14, 2015

Spirits

Last week my wife wrote me a message saying she found this new band that is pretty good and should be right up my alley and we had to go to the show that they were going to play close by. Since my wife has pretty good taste in music and knows what I like, there wasn't much to argue about. The show was in an old textile factory, which is really hard to find if you don't know what you're looking for. I'd been there before when the promoter put on a show for some friends' band, so I knew where I had to go: drive along the old dirt road with no signs, park in the front of this old building and climb up a few flights of stairs - et voilĂ : a diy hardcore venue. Some young kids are trying to get some shows going in that small town in the middle of nowhere, which is always cool to see and worthy of support.
There were maybe 40 people there, which is not bad for that town on a Thursday night. Spirits were the only band to play that show, which I've never seen at a hardcore show before, but there's always a first time I guess. I hadn't listened to them before, but my wife had told me that they sound like Count Me Out, Carry On and Go It Alone. Well, if you've been following my blog, you'll have noticed that I really, really like these bands.
Long set short, Spirits fucking killed it. Great music that really reminded me of the early 2000s. They also played a Minor Threat and a Battery (!!!) cover. Actually they played three covers, but I didn't recognize the third song… Anyways, if you like any of the aforementioned bands, you should definitely check out Spirits. Another great SXE band from Boston. My wife and I are definitely going to at least one more show on this tour, because Spirits are just that good. They're also probably the most fun band to watch in the sense that they're really having fun on stage and enjoy what they're doing. Plus they're like the nicest people out there, especially their guitarist Charles.
This is the tour variant of the LP that came out like three (?) weeks ago. I'm not sured if the people who pre-ordered this record have already got their copies, but that didn't stop Spirits to have a tour version with them. There are two hundred copies of these. Neither cover nor lyric sheet, which is a big minus, especially the no lyric sheet part, but you get some nice 3D glasses so you can check out the 3D labels, which is kind of cool. The glasses are stamped (Spirits European Tour)  and numbered (my copy is #61/200). You can also use them to look at the 7" (see below).



For a band that has existed only for a few months, Spirits have been quite productive. This is their first release, the s.t. 7"., which came out earlier this year on Coin Toss Records. This is the tour variant on this weird swirly clear/dark grey/haze colour. It looks cool, but is hard to photograph. The cover comes in 3D optic as well. They're also about to release a split 7" on Speedowax Records. Yeah, pretty productive indeed. After listening to these two records at home, I caved in and ordered a few other versions of the 7". And I'll most likely get the other variants of the LP as well in the nearby future. Oh, and the pre-order for the split is supposed to go online in the next couple of days.


2 comments:

  1. www.constantrotation.bigcartel.com Splits shipping now

    ReplyDelete