Sunday, May 31, 2015

Unity

Record Store Day turns me off more and more every year. I know that there are some good sides to this event, but honestly, if people bought records on a regular basis all year long the way they do it on RSD, there'd be no need for this day. But my feeling tells me that most people who actually buy all these special releases, mainly of mainstream music, only buy records on this day and think of it more as Record Flipping Day. The number of releases for RSD that interest me has been in decline each year as well. This year there were two records that I was interested in, but not so much that I actually went after them. I picked this up from one of the two mailorders/stores I order regularly from online since there's no record store around where I live. This was a few weeks after RSD, so I guess the interest in general was not too high after all.
For the record itself, I like to think of the Unity 7"as a test run for what became Uniform Choice's first LP. You can hear that the music is basically the same (plus you also get a spoken word track) and Pat Dubar's voice is also quite recognizable, but the vocals are not nearly as good as on Screaming For Change. Don't get me wrong, the 7" is quite good, also from a lyrical point of view, but for me the voice leaves something to be desired. Might have to check out the LP seeing that they rerecorded the vocals of the 7" tracks for those recordings. RSD release on clear green vinyl out 550. There's also a clear variant out there, also out of 550.


3 comments:

  1. I agree with your reasoning for not liking RSD. For me it started out pretty cool because of all of the limited/special releases. But now I just feel that it is a special day for flippers. I still participate every year because a fair amount of releases I enjoy are getting issued/reissued. My only other issue is the pricing of the releases. They are getting to be a little ridiculous as time goes on. I am glad that atleast for one day a year that a lot of smaller stores can make a fair amount more than they normally do. It just sucks that it is that way. I don't have any record stores where I live either so I have to travel to get to any decent ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great record. Dont mind this one being reissued, and I like the color of vinyl. Definitely check out the album if you get chance. I think it got repressed on a German label last year, there were some made on a nice clear blue colour. Try to pick one up if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip, mcs. Will check that one out.

    ReplyDelete