Saturday, October 5, 2024

Some Old Bullshit

So, the reason why this blog was rather quiet over the summer was that my family and I took a rather long trip to Australia. It was sort of a once in a lifetime holiday, but I definitely want to get back at one point. Since this isn‘t a travel blog, I don‘t want to talk too much about my vacation. Let‘s just say I loved every second of it and there‘s a reason, well actually many reasons, why I want to go back. 

I was told by a good friend from Australia that record prices down under are pretty steep, even when taking into account the Euro - Australian Dollar exchange rate. Plus, I didn’t want to spend that much time away from my wife and son. Besides, dragging around records while travelling is kind of burden, especially if you don’t stay in just one place. So I didn‘t hit up that many record stores during the trip. I had one afternoon in Melbourne to check out some stores and I knew I was going to go to a great record store in Adelaide, which I‘ll talk about in a different post. 

The first store I went to in Melbourne was The Searchers. Apt name for a record store. Digging around in a record store is always such a joy to me. Even if I don‘t find anything, I still enjoy just the haptic aspect of flipping through records. Of course, finding at least one record you want in an actual store is always a good feeling. This Beastie Boys record had been on my want list for quite a while, so finding a 1st press in the wild was great. Some Old Bullshit is a compilation of well, older punk/hardcore songs by the Beastie Boys. Two songs are taken from an old WNYU radio show that played hardcore songs, the rest are the songs released on the Polly Wog Stew and Cooky Puss EPs. You probably don‘t need this compilation if you already have the EPs, but listening to the songs on this format is much more convenient. 


1st Press on Black on Grand Royal


No comments:

Post a Comment