Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Record Collector Blues

A few weeks ago I missed out on a Bane test press. 6131 Records / Wanna Hear It Records sold a bunch of second hand records and Marcus was kind enough to notify me of what was up for sale. But by the time I got to the web store, it had already sold. For some reason I hadn‘t checked my e-mails for a couple of hours, which would have told me about the test press being for sale right away. But that‘s how life goes.

So, what does any record collector do whenever they miss out on a rare record? Well, actually, I can‘t speak for all the collectors out there obviously, but what I do is go to Discogs, local listings and eBay to scour the Internet for rare records. Usually that means even more disappointment (I was thinking of a sports metaphor, but couldn‘t think of any), because 99/100 times I don‘t find anything. However, in this case I did get lucky and came across a Good Clean Fun test press for a really, really good price. Probably because only two people still care about collecting Good Clean Fun records in 2024 and I happened to stumble across this one at the right time. 

This is a test press for Phyte Records #16, the Let‘s Go Crazy 7“, which has Mr Issa dressed as Prince sitting on a motorcycle on the cover/artwork for the picture disc 7“. This is definitely not on the level of a Bane test press, but since I do collect Good Clean Fun records and I‘d never heard of a test press for this release, I‘m more than happy to add this to the collection. 


Test Press out of ??? on Phyte Records


3 comments:

  1. Test pressings for picture discs are amongst the best to get, because they are even more unique. Oh, and I still have the picture disc version of this record. I can't remember what the songs are like, but the picture itself is kinda cool. Love a good parody photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might be the 2nd or 3rd person you’re referring too that gives a damn about GCF. I pick up anything I can find from them whenever I come across it and it always amazes me how cheap it is. Is GCF a terrible band and I’m oblivious or something? “Good clean fun, for everyone “!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very happy to hear that. To me they are a very influential band, because they're a major reason why I'm vegan. I know they're often put in the joke band category, but they talked about important issues at a time only few other bands of that ilk were talking about them. The band definitely deserves more love, and not only by collectors. If you want to nerd out, shoot me an e-mail!

      Delete