Thursday, March 3, 2016

The Power Of Failing

I never really listened to Mineral I have to admit, but I heard a lot of people I usually trust when it comes to musical taste say a lot of good things about this band. I'm a little torn I must say. I like the music alright, but the singer's voice is a little too whiny for my taste. I know we're talking about an emo band here, but still. What's more, I didn't pay attention to the pressing info for this release, so I wasn't aware of the fact that there's also a repress in form of a 2xLP. The seller didn't really state that fact either, so I ended up with this double LP. I'm not a big fan of double LPs because I have to get up every three or four songs to flip the damn things. Now that wouldn't be so bad, but I like listening to calmer music like this while doing home office stuff and getting up that often is kind of unnerving when you want to get shit done. File this last statement under #firstworldrecordcollectorproblems. So what do we have here. On the plus side: LP looks great with the blue and white colour scheme and the music is good. Minuses: singer's voice and it's a double LP. Solid 2:2 draw I'd say.



1 comment:

  1. I liked this when it came out, but I now file Mineral under that category of 'sounded good at the time'. In 1995 or whenever, this was a new sound, although back then they sounded like they were desperately trying to sound like Sunny Day Real Estate. Unlike SDRE, however, this sounds a bit dated now I think.

    Also, I agree on your double LP thing. I never liked them. Seems common these days for things to be pressed as 'delux double LP' but there's nothing 'delux' about spreading the songs out over two discs. It's just some lame idea to justify charging double because the word 'delux' implies you get something special. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete