Thursday, September 24, 2015

Local Heroes

I'm pretty sure everybody has this local hero band that they have fond memories of. Even Worse (not the 80's band from New York) were that for me. One of the best shows I ever went to was the record release show for their first split LP. Tiny venue in their hometown, a killer line up and a ton of confetti. Stage dives and high fives. Good times. I still play their early records on a regular basis. They changed their style over the years, which is kind of natural I guess. I totally get it, from a band's perspective, but from a listener's perspective, I was not a big fan of that change. The same goes for Goldust, another really good band from that period. The two bands bonded very closely from what I remember, so a split release was just sort of a given, despite them being quite different in their styles/progression. I didn't pick up this particular release back then, because, as I said, I didn't like the way both bands progressed at the time. On the other hand, it always felt like there was something missing because I didn't have all of Even Worse's release. So I finally decided to rectify that. I'm still not a big fan of both band's later output, but that isn't that important in this case.


No comments:

Post a Comment