Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Pessimistic Lines

There are certain records in every collector's collection that they would never ever let go off. Not even if their kids needed extremely expensive heart surgery and selling the beloved collection would be the only way to come up with the money. From the perspective of the outside observer, this behaviour may be perceived as irrational or more plain: stupid. But any collector will come up with a myriad of stories so they won't have to let go off a certain record.
Okay, this scenario is probably a load of horseshit, but there's some truth to it. There are some records that any collector would have a really hard time parting with. This one is a very good example for that. Ever since I first heard Pessimistic Lines, I really liked the band. What's more, their singer Hagen is a great collector buddy of mine and one of the nicest people out there in general. We don't see each other that often, but when we see each other, it's always a lot of fun aka nerd talk, haha. We last saw each other at Fluff Fest past July. He'd written me before that he would have a little surprise for me. I had the vague thought it might have something to do with records, but I had no idea it would be an actual record. This is a test pressing for Pessimistic Line's LP Overcome. Only 12 copies exist. I am now the proud owner of #12. Sure, there are more prolific bands out there. Probably better bands, too. But this is one record that I'll cherish until I'm too senile to remember why I have so many frisbee discs in my living room.



4 comments:

  1. Honestly, I would give my whole collection without a second of hesitation if I would really need money for my kids. Beside that, you are absolutely right, in every thing there´s at least a certain amount of truth. But in the end, you will have to leave this world without your records ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh, I guess I have to work on my use of hyperbole as an element of humour ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I was at a funeral today which made me probably a bit too fateful ...

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry to hear that, man. My condolences. Hope you're doing okay.

    ReplyDelete