Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Supernova

Okay, so technically this is a 2022 release. BUT I received my pre-order copy only in January 2023. Plus this record deserves to be talked about more. Spark plays a modern version of youth crew. It‘s basically everything you love about youth crew but with more melodies. Think The First Step meets Mindset. I really dig the simple cover. Sometimes less is more. Also, the vinyl color is absolutely stunning. Such a great shade of blue. 100 copies  came on this color. 


I also went to the record release show at one of my favourite DIY spots in Germany. The line up was stacked and basically the crème de la crème of German hardcore bands played that bill, plus Chain Reaction from Belgium, who had released a split 7“ with Spark a few years ago. That was such a fantastic evening. I got to hang out with a ton of friends, every band delivered and it was just a great vibe all around. 

Sidenote: As you can see there was a special aftershow guest announced on the flyer. There’s also a hand holding a rose, which was a hint at who was going to perform. There‘s this guy called Edwin Rosen, who is a hardcore kid, but performs music that can be best described as a mix of new wave/post-punk/synthiepop. Not my kind of music, but he’s a nice guy and I respect him doing his own thing. He often reps band merch on stage and even xes up because he‘s straight edge. Now, some of his fan base, probably locals, must have caught wind of him performing at that particular venue that day, because there were a bunch of teenagers who were clearly not hardcore kids accompanied by there parents at the show. They had to see/endure six hardcore bands, which for any outsider must be weird as hell, before Edwin Rosen took the stage at some point after midnight. I admire their dedication and I hope they had a great evening. 

 

There was also a limited sleeve for the record release version of the record, cleverly numbered out of 30. 



No comments:

Post a Comment