Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Bargains Are A Collector‘s Best Friend

A few weeks ago I went to see Be Well at one of my favorite venues. Truth be told, I‘m not a big fan of Be Well. I tried to get into them a bunch of times, because with the personnel behind the band I feel like I should like the band, but nothing‘s clicked with me yet. I decided to go anyway because my wife is really into them and I also knew that a bunch of friends would be there. So basically I went to the show to be able to go on a roadtrip with my wife to see friends. There are definitely worse premises to attend a show. I didn‘t have a lot of expectations for the show itself, but I must say that Be Well were absolutely fantastic live and I‘m glad I did go to see them play. 

While we were driving to the venue a friend sent me pictures of records a friend was selling at the show. Actually he was selling the records for a friend who didn‘t want to bother with local listings or Discogs. I browsed through the records and found a few things that I liked.

A few days ago I posted about the Underdog Demos LP I‘d gotten not too long before I went to the show mentioned above and how much I liked the songs. As chance would have it, I saw the band‘s first and only LP The Vanishing Point in one of the bins and I didn‘t hesitate to grab it. I like this LP a lot as well and I regret even more having slept on the band for so long. 


1st Press on Black on Caroline


I‘ve been collecting Sick Of It All records for many years, but one record that has always eluded me so far was their first live LP Live In A World Full Of Hate. Maybe ‘eluded‘ isn‘t the correct word because the record is not that hard to get. But a) pictures discs sit pretty low on my want list in general and b) paying shipping for a ugly records doesn‘t make getting them more attractive. But when I saw it just sitting right in front of me and hearing the price, I just had to get it. It‘s not as good as Live In A Dive, but it‘s still a good live record. 

1st / Only Press as a Picture Disc on Lost And Found



My friend had sent me only pictures of the records his friends was selling, so seeing a bunch of demo tapes sitting in a separate box was a pleasant surprise. I‘m not a tape nerd per se, but some demo tapes I definitely want to own (I can hear Marcus sigh in disgust at this statement, haha). The Stop And Think Demo had been on my want list for years and finally I had the opportunity to grab one for a very, very decent price. This is the European version which was released on Bloody Sunday Records

European Version w/ Light Blue Cover on Bloody Sunday 


All in all it was a great evening. Friends, great live band and a few items crossed of my want list at bargain prices. Not much more you can ask for in one night. 


1 comment:

  1. A show with friends and records for sale - sounds like a perfect night out

    ReplyDelete