Wednesday, April 24, 2024

The Bed Is In The Ocean

One of my favorite discoveries of an old band in 2023 was the band Karate. The first record I got to know was their self titled debut, which I fell in love with head over heels. Luckily, all of their records have been repressed somewhat recently, although I had to wait what felt like forever until one of the distros I order from frequently had them back in stock. I’m usually not a big fan of striped vinyl, but it somehow works with this sleeve. The Bed Is In The Ocean is a Karate’s third LP and it’s also really good. It’s a little more jazz-influenced I guess, but that also makes it very interesting. 


2022 Repress on Lego Tri-Colour on Numero Group /???



As most records, this record also came in shrink-wrap. Personally. I hate shrink wrap. I get why labels do it, but I could do without it. It’s a waste of plastic and sometimes it deforms the records. In this case, the printed shrink-wrap this record came in left a permanent ink mark on the back of the sleeve. At least I’ll never forget this sleeve was printed in Canada. 



2 comments:

  1. Very interesting for me to see this record here. In the late 90's/early 2000's, I had downloaded a few Karate and Modest Mouse albums back in the late days of Napster, or whatever p2p file sharing tool I was using at the time. I kind of liked them, but never really spent much time with them and then forgot about them over the years. Over the past couple of months I've rediscovered Modest Mouse and I've been loving them... so I may need to dig into Karate as well and see if they hit me the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this record, but sadly don't own it on vinyl. I always wanted a first pressing but am kinda shocked as to how much they sell for. I might need to settle for a repress. This actually looks ok. They did a good job matching the colour scheme of the front cover.

    ReplyDelete