Friday, December 29, 2023

How Much Is Enough?

 

A few months ago, Bane announced on their social media accounts that they were getting the band back together. I know some people still make a fuss about reunions, especially if the final tour/show was announced with a big ado, but I don't really care. Bands come, bands go, people change their opinion for whatever reason. If the members of a band decide to get back together because they miss what meant so much to them at one point in their life and it makes them happy, who are others to judge them? No one's force to attend reunions, so why bother if you claim you don't care? 

Around the same time, Bane announced that was going to be a repress of Give Blood. Kind of like a 20 year anniversary reissue, only two years late, but kind of keeping in tune with how the band handles anniversaries, haha. As it goes nowadays, a record release or a re-release means at least half dozen variants, and in this case, nine different variants were announced all at once. The hardcore kid in me applauds band and label for keeping the record in print, and I get why they do so many variants from an economical point of view. However, the record collector in me was not thrilled at all. Nine variants, each $40+, means a large financial commitment. And that is before shipping (from different sources of course) and customs fees. I didn't pull the trigger back then and so far I have not been able to talk myself into buying all of the variants successfully. 

I decided to pick up the variant that one that looked the best and the one that was the most special and skip the rest for now. Obviously, that means a huge hole in my Bane collection, which up until this reissue looked pretty good - and yes, this kind of gnaws at me. Collectors, right?


First of all, the reissue is done really, really well and you definitely get a high quality product. Die cut gatefold sleeve, big booklet within the gatefold sleeve and good quality vinyl. Neither label nor band skimped on this reissue. So you definitely get your money's worth. 



I'm really glad label and band didn't go full 2023 when it came to choosing the vinyl colors. Keeping it classy with this colorway in particular, which is why I chose this one. 

Coke Bottle Clear on Equal Vision /300 (Brooklyn Vegan / Revolver Exclusive)


I also got the Tiger Records exclusive variant. Tiger Records is a record store run by James Siboni, who played bass in Bane when the band dissolved. This is really a beauty. Four way gatefold which folds out into a giant red cross on the one side and shows an incredible live picture of Bane when you flip the whole thing over. You also get the reproduction of a set list circa 2001, a full lyric sheet, a promo shot from the Give Blood era and three cool band pictures. Just beautiful and a real labor of love. 



Fold out red cross with all the extra goodies. I can see those pictures framed on a wall in the future. 

White/Orange /1000 (Tiger Records Exclusive)


Flip side with an incredible live shot by Matt Miller. I wasn't that much excited about reunion shows, but by now I'm really looking forward to seeing Bane live again.



Overall, I'm very happy with the two reissues that I got, but there's still that tiny man inside my head telling me that I definitely need the other variants as well. 




No comments:

Post a Comment